Performance & Investment Risk Analyst
Stonehage Fleming is one of the world’s leading independently owned family offices and the largest in Europe, Middle East and Africa (EMEA)* as measured by its breadth of services, geographic reach and by assets under management, advice and administration. *Source: Campden FB, April 2018
Stonehage Fleming provides a range of services from long-term strategic planning and investments to day-to-day advice and administration to over 250 families of substantial wealth. The Group employs over 500 people in 11 offices across 8 geographies.
The Performance and Investment Risk Analyst will contribute to the provision of performance, attribution and investment risk reporting to the Investment and Client Relationship Management teams both for fund and client portfolios. They will challenge and help develop improved processes and contribute to the performance and investment risk element with respect to new system implementation and merging processes from legacy businesses.
- Reporting to: Middle Office Manager
- Internal Relationships: Client Relationship Management team, Investment team, Operations
- External Relationships: Performance and Risk software vendors
- Committee Memberships: The Risk and Controls Committee
PRINCIPAL ELEMENTS AND ACCOUNTABILITIES
Providing detailed performance, attribution and investment risk reporting to Investment, Client Relationship and Senior Management teams.
- Contributing to the process for checking and analysis of performance of all investment accounts on a monthly basis. Providing individual client performance and benchmarks in a clear and effective way.
- Managing production of contribution/attribution analysis on client funds and Stonehage Fleming funds. Writing commentaries to explain asset allocation, currency performance and performance from hedging positions and derivatives.
- Checking and providing risk analysis on all investments/models/funds on an ex-post and ex-ante basis.
- Providing individual client investment risk information in a clear and concise manner. Looking at tracking errors and systematic risks in the funds and writing commentaries to highlight any significant risks. Run pre trade risk simulations on proposed trades to highlight any unforeseen risks.
Contribute to the performance and investment risk element with respect to new system implementation
- Contribute to the planning around implementing performance aspects of new portfolio management systems.
- Take a holistic view of performance and investment risk across investment management London with respect to improving processes.
Responsible for adhering to the operating procedures and policies
- You are responsible for adhering to the operating procedures of the business as written and of providing enhancements and changes to the procedures as and when identified. It is essential that any such changes are properly documented immediately.
- Use task management software for managing deliverables and aiding communication.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- Educated to degree level or equivalent
- Excellent understanding of Performance methodology
- Advanced Microsoft Excel skills (VBA skills are an advantage)
- Proficient in use of Bloomberg and Lipper
- Private Equity knowledge an advantage but not essential
- Excellent numerical and analytical skills
- Strong planning and organisational skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to interact effectively at all levels
- Strong attention to detail
- Ability to work under pressure and to meet tight deadlines
- Proactive and takes responsibility for moving tasks forward
COMPETENCIES AND BEHAVIOURS
- Planning & Organising: schedules and manages workload effectively, thinks ahead, sets plans to achieve goals
- Highly skilled communicator/presenter in both a group environment and on a one‐on‐one level, communicates clearly and concisely, listens effectively, written communication is well presented
- Delivers work of a high standard, output is accurate & error free and productivity is satisfactory and consistent
- Demonstrates excellent technical knowledge, understands the policies, processes and systems in their area of expertise and keeps technical knowledge up to date
- Takes prompt action and sees tasks through to completion, persists in effort to achieve results and takes responsibility for own actions